Sunday, March 16, 2014

Blog Post- Book Cover Final

(Couldn't open xcf file on my computer, I will put it up on a school computer)

The purpose of my cover was to make it somewhat confusing for the audience so that it does not reveal significant ideas of the story. The front page is simply a flag with the title "A Totally Normal Mall Experience." I made this design simple so that it could attract many types of audiences and would not only be targeted towards one type. However, it might not attract viewers who are looking for action and excitement because the cover is very plain and does directly catch ones eye. In contrast, the back cover is large image of a gun point towards where the flag would be released on the front cover. The two ideas contrast greatly because the gun image is so bold and powerful, while the flag with the simple title has no message. I think the gun in the back will intrigue viewers to want to read the story because they are confused whether it is going to be simple or violent. It gives away that the story is in fact not a "normal" mall experience and that there is some twists involving violence.

The main focus of my design would be the gun, even though it is on the back cover. I made the gun very big so that it sends a powerful and bold message. The front cover is very simple and plain, which I did not want this to be the main focus of my design, so I made the back cover have a very focused theme of violence and suspense. I think putting the gun directly on the front cover might have been to obvious of a main focus and would give away the story too quickly, so by putting it on the back it contrasts with the simplicity of the front cover and makes the viewer question what the main focus of the story actually is.

I used a very bold and large font to emphasize the work "normal" on my front cover, because I wanted the viewer to question why the word was distinguished this way. Since the story and the main character's mall experience is far from normal, I emphasized the word using different font type and font size to attract attention to the abnormal aspect of the story. The font type I chose also was not what most consider the "normal" font, like Helvetica, which puts even more of an emphasis on it. I used script for the rest of the title because it is such a traditional and well-known font that contrasts with the abnormal aspects of my design. I also made the font size of the rest of the title much smaller so the focal point would be the word "normal" only.

The back cover, which is the image of the gun, relates most the short story. I chose to make the back cover represent the story more than the front because this is again an abnormal approach which fits with such an abnormal story. The gun represents the suspense and violence within the story, along with the killing that takes place. My front cover and back cover are directly connected, if one were to open both next to one another, because it is the gun shooting out the flag that displays the title. I got this idea from the old toy guys that shoot out a flag because I thought it related back to a mall more than just a gun alone and a separate title. I think the front cover being connected to the back cover makes the overall design more unique and interesting for the viewer.

1 comment:

  1. soo i may have bought your laptop or one owned by someone whom works for you.
    i recently purchased a laptop computer from a pawn shop which was being used by one of your employees.
    the hard drive contains a multitude of files labeled and sorted that are from your business.
    there are t-shirt designs, art, project ideas, sticker designs, and more importantly folders with files labeled,
    "company files", "busniess files", and other materials.
    i am checking to find out whether these are things you need, or if i may have stumbled onto a laptop that was not supposed to be at at pawn shop.
    please get back to me as i plan to completely wipe clean and reset this laptop so as to start using it as a new device.
    and i need to know whether you need the things that may be on there.

    ReplyDelete